Moving to Victoria: Victoria Lingo
The Lingo of Victoria: Learn to Speak Like a Victorian
Each city has it’s own language and often you can tell who belongs to an area by how they refer to things locally. It is no exception in Victoria. Victorians have their own lingo for certain areas and words. We provide some ideas below to learn to speak like a local Victorian.
Local Victoria Lingo:
- The Malahat or the “Hat” is the mountainous region immediately north of Victoria. The Malahat runs from the north end of Langford (Greater Victoria) to Mill Bay.
- 'Up Island', is a phrase you will hear often in Victoria, essentially Up Island is anywhere on Vancouver Island north of the Malahat
- Port Alberni is often described by locals as 'Port'. You often hear this more in Central Vancouver Island.
- Uclulet is sometimes referred to by locals as 'Ukee'.
- The Saanich Peninsula is often just referred to as just “the Peninsula”
- The main highway from Victoria to the Ferry terminal at Swartz Bay is often called the Pat Bay highway, or just the Pat Bay for short. Officially it is the Patricia Bay highway, or Highway 17. In town, it becomes Blanshard Street, running through downtown Victoria.
- The “Colwood Crawl” is used to describe the traffic congestion along the Number 1 Highway from Victoria out to Langford and Colwood.
- Victoria is sometimes shortened to Vic. University students often refer to their school as U-Vic
- The Causeway is the pedestrian walkway circling the Inner Harbour.
- The Mac refers to the McPherson Playhouse located at Centennial Square on Pandora at Government in downtown Victoria.
- The Chamber refers to the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce.
Acronyms Used in Victoria
- VREB - Victoria Real Estate Board
- CRD - Capital Regional District
- GVPL - Greater Victoria Public Library
GVHA - Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
DVBA - Downtown Victoria Business Association
RVYC - Royal Victoria Yacht Club
VIHA - Vancouver Island Health Authority
Other Articles in the Moving to Victoria Series:
Things To Do In Victoria
The Weather in Victoria
Getting Around in Victoria - transportation
How to Meet People in Victoria
BC Home Inspectors
Moving to British Columbia (Drivers License and Insurance)